Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Memory

I was so sad today to read about Jeff's friend Nelson. It reminded me so much of our sweet Dusty-dog. She was 14 years old when she developed some severe health problems and we had to have her put to sleep. This was two years ago and it still feels like yesterday. She came to us when she was six months old and barely left my side the whole time we had her. She went everywhere with me. I had two keys to my car, so when she went with and couldn't go inside, I'd leave her locked in the car with either the air conditioner or heater on - and her favorite pillow, of course. Hubby would smuggle her into motel rooms and all kinds of places that normally wouldn't allow them - but she was so good. She wouldn't bark or fuss and never made messes where she shouldn't. She was just the sweetest pup. The decision to let her go was the hardest I've ever had to make. When I read about Nelson, it brought it all back. Her trusting eyes as I held her - watching the life go out of them. She left our lives with a huge hole.

It was only a few months ago that we were finally able to face getting another Shih tzu, and those of you who have been reading my blog know how that turned out! We wouldn't have it any other way... Frank and Frieda are by far the sweetest pups... but Dusty will always have a very special place in our hearts.