Thursday, May 26, 2005

Am I a Bad "Mom"

Sooo... last night was puppy obedience class.

A little background. I've never taken a dog to an obedience class. I've usually had pretty good luck just working with them at home and I live in the country where I don't have to have my dog on a leash, or be sure they are 'social', nor will I ever have a 'show' dog. Not my thing. When my youngest child got a huskie pup a short while back, he and girlfriend decided to do the obedience thing. That's good. Huskie's are known to be a bit nutso (technical term) if they aren't controlled. They started going to puppy class and I heard about how good it was. I decided to try it with my Shih Tzus.

I started by going to a 'puppy' class with my little one, Frieda. She did well, except when it came to walking on a leash. She parked her butt and refused any treat or bribe. I continued to work with her and Frank at home. She still did the brake thing, but Frank did great. At. Home.

The trainer decided they should be going to the 'adult' class, since they are over 6 months old. I was sick last week, but last night when I went I decided to take Frank since he'd been doing so well. He did fine with everything - except the leash. He, too, became Stubborn Puppy. Not a bribe in the place could get him to walk with me on the leash. This is where it becomes *gulp* hard.

The trainer got out this collar. I don't know what it's called, but it looks like something you'd torture with. She kept say, "This won't hurt him"...followed by "He may fight or scream, but trust me, he's not being hurt". Ooookay... That was an understatement. He fought, he growled, he snarled, he went from being my cuddly, sweet, most-mild-mannered Shih Tzu to the puppy from HELL. You woulda thought he was possessed. The trainer: "Just keep going back and forth on this middle path and when he's moving, praise him". This went on for about 15-20 minutes while all the other dogs in the class (lab, choc lab, poodle, schnauzer, schnauzer2, and pit bull) were all being as well-mannered as could be on their leashes. Heeling, stopping, staying, turning, doing it all soooo nicely while my hell-hound was carrying on in the middle of the room.

The whole way home, Frank pouted. I don't know how to explain this, except to tell you that I had a Shih Tzu for 17 years - Dusty. She was the sweetest thing. We learned early on that you couldn't yell at her. It took very little correction for her to know the right way to do something. If she got yelled at (as I say, only did once or twice) she would go sit by herself and cry... I kid you not. Cried. Real. Tears. We couldn't believe it the first time or two. She would sit there and tears would run down her face. Then she wouldn't come around you for at least a half a day. It really hurt her feelings. Hubby reminded me of this when I got home last night and Frank went into his pen, laid down and put his chin on his paws and looked at me with those sad "human" eyes. (My son swears he doesn't have dog eyes, but has human ones.) He was so subdued all night last night.

Now I'm in a quandry. I feel like a bad mom. I mean, a really bad mom. I called my daughter who is working at the pet store. She's an animal nut, too. She thinks this isn't good. She tells me those "torture" collars (my name) shouldn't be used on a Shih Tzu, that their neck bones are too fragile. They should only be used on dogs like German Shepherds and Pit Bulls. Then I talk to youngest son who is taking his dog there. He says the trainer told them the first class that she would never make them do something that would make them uncomfortable.

Hmmm... My first instinct (and Hubby's) was to say, to heck with the money (I paid in full and it wasn't that much). I live on a farm and my dog walks on a leash good enough for me and it isn't worth it to me to torture the dog just to make it walk 'properly'. Did I mention she sent home the collar so I could practice torturing my dog at home? ... and his sister?

Son says I should talk to the trainer. That if I did, she probably wouldn't make me use the collar. But if I don't use the collar, Frank won't walk on his leash in class. That is a lot of what they have to learn - it has to do with the walking. Did I mention... SHIT. Yeah, it's like that.