Friday, September 01, 2006

September 1

Fall has officially begun. I realize, to the calendar people, it isn't for another three weeks. That is insignificant to me. To me, this is the day it begins. It used to be (long, long ago) that children did not go back to school "in the fall" until after Labor day. That is the weekend the city swimming pool would close, the white shoes would be religated to the winter off, and the air conditioning would officially end for the summer season. Labor day weekend was the last big "push" at the camp grounds and theme parks, knowing that those kiddies would be sitting in classrooms the following week.

Everything changes. School for my grandson began two weeks ago. Two. That's just unreal. The theme parks stay open on weekends for another month or so, and the white shoes? Well, I wear white tennis shoes practically every day of my life, so that's not gonna change.

I, too, have noticed the light changing. It no longer is light at 5 a.m. when the puppies and I go out. It no longer is light at 8 p.m. when they go out for the last time at night. Although my maple trees haven't started to change, I have seen evidence of others along the roadside (as I'm watching for those pesky suicidal deer). The corn and beans are changing - some so fast that I've been notified we could be in the field combining in a couple of weeks.

This makes it fall. Officially. The harvest will begin. I love fall... I love so many things about it. Even the harvest, although it becomes a mind-numbing track meet of trying to make sure everyone is where they need to be and has the food/snacks/beverages to see them through to the end. I barely see my Hubs, unless he's sitting in the cab of a pickup eating a sandwich... covered with grain dust and bags under his eyes.

I love the leaves changing and the gardens putting out their final burst of color right before the frost takes it all out. The smell of leaves and wood-burning fireplaces fill the air and I can cuddle with the kitties in front of my 'fake' fireplace, warm just the same. The sweaters and sweatshirts come out and I no longer agonize over the "tummy roll" that I just can't seem to hide in summer wear. The breadmaker gets put back into use and the crock pot is filled with stew and soups and 'comfort' food.

It's supposed to rain this weekend and have a high temperature of only 70. That, to me, is saying Fall. We're going to camp at the races. We're going to have the RV. Yes, we're going to have MIL. It's not going to be as good as a cup of hot cocoa in front of the fireplace, but I'll make it work... It's going to be okay. I'm just going with that thought for the rest of the day...