Saturday, November 06, 2004

The Last Hurrah

I hate to say it, but I think this is the last of the summer. It got up in the 70's today! That's incredible! Tomorrow they're saying only in the lower 50's - with a chance of snow mid-week. I tried to get some stuff done today but by the time I worked this morning then ran errands, I was so tired. I just came home and crashed.

DH got done harvesting today! Yippee! Still have field work to do, but at least the harvest is done. That's a relief. Youngest son that's been helping this fall is now saying he's thinking he'd like to do this all the time. Oh, my! As much as we wanted that, we never thought it would happen. He's not seemed interested in the farm since he was about 10. This is good and bad. Good because DH could definately use the help. Bad because we've got to figure out how to make it work money-wise. It will take some number-crunching. We'll have to have some discussions about this to see if it will work for all of us.

I think I'm finally going to get my dog moved to the new house tomorrow! He's been at the old house since we moved... trying to get the kennel done at the new house. I think we'll finally get the last of it done tomorrow and he'll get to come home. I miss him, dumb dog. I'm getting a new puppy either the end of this month or mid-December. Am so excited about that! I had a Shih Tzu for 17 years that had to be put to sleep two years ago due to some major health issues. She was my sweetie and went everywhere with me. She was such a good girl... I've finally gotten to the place where I'm ready to open my heart to another one. Right now we've put a deposit down on one that was born early in October. She'll be a tiny one - smaller than the one I had - but it should be great. I've been getting pictures of her ever week and she's growing and getting cuter every day (if that's possible). Will really add to the family.

We have a rather large 'family' of critters. Over the years we've had all kinds of dogs, cats, fish, rabbit, hamster, rats, pig, and chickens... with four kids it can get to be quite a houseful. Now we're 'down' to four house cats, the beagle who is coming home tomorrow, the 'snoodle' who lives with my son and the coon-hound-shepherd mix that belongs to my youngest daughter and who is also living at the old house with my son. We are very good friends with our veterinarian! At any rate, they all have their own personalities and quirks and don't let anyone tell you they don't have feelings or that they don't know anything. They are smart and they do respond to love and attention. With the exception of the new Shih Tzu puppy, they are all 'pound' or 'found' critters we have adopted from a shelter or from someone who could no longer keep them. We've had animals that have been abused and abandoned that we give love and affection and they've turned from animals from hell into the nicest, sweetest animals. It's amazing what a little love can accomplish. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Looking forward to tomorrow... If it has to be cold, at least I hope the sun shines. That always makes it seem a bit warmer...