Tuesday, July 05, 2005

ESP

This is one of those posts that will confirm to some of you that I'm a bit 'teeched'. Maybe more than a bit. I pride myself on being a somewhat realistic person - and even though I love mysteries and sci-fi and strange things, that is the entertainment factor. I'm pretty practical in my real life. Except for one thing. ESP.

Although I've tried to deny it - I've had it all my life. Not with everyone... and not to the point I can make it happen. But there have been too many instances where it cannot be written off to coincidence. In particular, my youngest daughter and I seem to be on the same wavelength, if you will. We've scared our spouses with the things we do - and now Hubby just tells SIL to 'go with the flow'. There isn't anything you can do about it.

Examples:
1) Daughter and I went to eat at a local restaurant that serves pies - lots of pies. When discussing what kind of pie we might want after lunch, she proceeded to look through the flip-pictures sitting on the table and I threw out names of pies we should choose from. After several flips being the correct 'guess', she made me stop and said I was scaring her.

2) Daughter and SIL had a dream where he dreamt the first part and she continued the dream. Occasionally she and I have the exact same dream!

3) We figure out movie plots - and sometimes when we can't remember where we've seen a certain actor or what their name is, we don't even have to give barely any clues and the other one knows. I've done this to my spouse, too. I went to look up an actress that I didn't know the name of that he was watching in some movie. I know I'd associated her with some other actor, (we're talking old movies here) and when I found her name, before I could say it, but the instant I saw it on the screen, he yelled it out from the other room. Just as though I'd sent it to him.

4) When daughter was a teenager she got in trouble for breaking curfew one too many times. She was allowed to go to a friend's house, as long as she stayed at that person's house. (The mom was usually pretty lax and let the girls go to the mall or wherever.) We happened to go by daugher's place of work and her car wasn't there. When it bugged me all through dinner, I had to stop and find out if she was there. She'd called in sick and gone to her friends' house early. We drove to the friends' house and our daughter wasn't there! (This is before cell phones had caller ID... and we only had one phone that we let our kids take when they were going out.) At any rate, she wasn't there. We knocked on the door and explained to the mom that they weren't supposed to be anywhere else. She and a couple of friends had gone to one of the boyfriends' houses. Uh oh. Not a good thing. We asked to borrow their phone and I called my daughter. I asked her where she was... she started to say "Deb's house..." and corrected herself and told me the truth. Suffice it to say, when I asked her about it later she told me she started to answer, then had this vision of her dad and I standing in Deb's livingroom. She was right!

I can go on and on. The fact is, we do this to our spouses, our family members, and occasionally to strangers, but most often to each other. This is why it was such a miracle that we were able to surprise her on Friday night. Hubby tried to get me to wrap my head in tinfoil... yeah... like that was going to happen!