Friday, September 10, 2004

Getting With the Program

Some days I feel I'm being rather productive. This is not one of them. I tell myself I should be applying myself to the work at hand. The work at hand is not exciting. I tell myself I am being paid for doing this work. I am not motivated. I never used to be this way. I have a very strong work ethic and have never been one to shirk responsiblity. I am the one who shows up on time, loses no time in the break room visiting or drinking coffee (I'm not a coffee drinker anyway - love the smell, hate the taste). I work through lunch - having it at my desk while working - and leave no earlier than my full work day. I'm slipping.

Part of my reluctance to work is I know there are so many other things I could be doing that I'm sure would be way more fun. Don't get me wrong, I like my job. I like the people I work with (fun). I like the work environment (casual). BUT the work that sits on my desk mocks me with boredom. It is not fun. It is not even the kind of work that will keep me busy for more than an hour or so. I've been dragging it out for a week in the hope that soon there will be mounds of new work coming in that will keep my mind and fingers occupied. Stupid work. Why can't I win the lottery?