Friday, October 08, 2004

In Another Universe

...far, far away... are my sent E-MAILS.

Does it matter? YES. Am I e-mailing someone important? YES. Is this work-related. YES. Is it time-sensitive? YES. YES. YES. Am I happy. NO.

Am I impressed when I call the internet provider and I find out a.) I'm getting him out of the shower and b.) he knows my voice without me even saying my name. <sigh> No.

I suspected a long time ago that this internet provider was kind of a 'mom and pop' operation. Every time I called, I got the same person and the same tech rep called me back (when he remembered to call me back). I didn't have to guess what state I was calling, or from what state he was calling me back. I can probably drive to the house. I'm suspicious this company is being run out of a basement somewhere between here and OZ.

Him: I think there is a problem with a server
Me: Is it holding my out-bound e-mails again?
Him: I don't know
Me: Can you check?
Him: I'm going to re-set the server over the weekend while you're gone
Me: Where am I going? We work on the weekend this time of year. All weekend.
Him: Oh.

I'm not sure if this means he's going to fix it, or if I'll just have to wait until I'm gone for it to magically repair itself. I'll be gone tonight from 6 until 7 tomorrow morning. Do you hear that, tech support?