Saturday, November 06, 2004

Young Love

As far as I can tell the wedding is still on. To my surprise, daughter invited SIL2B to town for the weekend to talk it over - and to get the engagement pictures taken. This is a good sign, I'd say. He tells me that she's got a month to figure out if she wants to go ahead on the pre-picked date or if she wants to postpone.

He thinks a lot of the trouble is the long-distance relationship. The more he lives away from her, the more he's beginning to hate the city and his job. Thinking of moving back in this area. I know that would probably help in some respects, but hope it's not just a temporary fix. He's really trying.

I don't know what to say - or if I should say anything. How do you apologize for your daughter being exactly like you? That's a hard one. I am very independent in some respects. DH calls it "only child syndrome". This is not necessarily the case with my daughter - she's not an only child! She still seems to like her 'space' and finds herself liking to do things alone some, too, just as I do.

I certainly hope it works out. He is a really good guy and she does seem to love him and he her. I am keeping in mind that they are young and this could be just some 'pre-wedding jitters'. She says she only wants to do this once, and I admire that. I've been married before and so has her older sister. We both have had good/bad parts to the divorces and dealing with the exes... but no knock-down-drag-outs. We've been civil. I just know she's wanting to try and make it work and part of that is being sure she's found the right guy. Sometimes I also think she's too much of a perfectionist - another trait I have. I've not found I'm that way with people, but with about everything else in my life. I've mellowed some over the years, but still find myself reflected in her personality to a great extent. DH calls her my 'clone'... we're so much alike.

Will keep my fingers crossed that the next month goes well...