Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Can I Get A Little Love Here?

Hubby spent the evening at a Combine Clinic. Yeah. It's every bit as exciting as it sounds. A bunch of guys go to the local "big green machine" farm equipment store and learn how to run their combines. Oh, okay, I don't know. They already know how to run them... I think it's just an excuse to stand around and talk. Like farmers don't do that enough!

Then, of course, you've got the free meal. BBQ beef sandwiches, chips, green beans, potato salad and lemonade. That alone will bring most of them out of their caves long enough to listen to whatever is being presented. Free food. Does it every time.

After the 'official' meeting is over and the 'official' meal has been consumed, then the jawing (visiting to you more refined people) moves down the street to the local bar where they talk about what they just learned in the meeting gossip about everything and anything including Asian Rust in the soybeans to drought effects on the corn to aphids in the soybeans to "what in the heck was ol' Jonesy thinkin' when he did (insert favorite dumb thing here)?" From what I gather - remember I get this second-hand - it pretty much ends up being the same things hashed and re-hashed.

Finally they all drift home.

Hubby climbs into bed and snuggles up against me... 'at least I'm not a mean drunk'....