Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Warning: Adult Language

Aw... FUCK. Yeah, it's like that.

My mother and father got a new computer a couple of weeks ago. My mother is computer impaired and my father is computer illiterate. I am their unofficial tech support person. A few days ago a friend and I went to see them so I could take care of putting their computer back into proper order and fixing all the things they've already messed up. Mom keeps an ongoing list. Everything was going just fine until my mother asked me to install an old recipe program. Never. Should. Have. Done. That.

After asking me to reboot, the computer began spitting out error messages to the effect it couldn't find a specific .dll file. DAMN. I tried safe boot among other things, and nothing would stop the dreaded error message coming up - in DOS, I might add, (but no prompt).

I begin looking through all the disks and the one manual that came with their new computer. I see a piece of paper that LOOKS like a CD, but says that they no longer ship operating system disks or restore disks with your new D*^& Computer. WTF?? If you have trouble, you are to go to their PC Restore program. That's all well and fine, IF YOU CAN GET TO THE FRIGGIN' PROGRAM! DAMN. SHIT. DAMN.

I breakdown and call the official tech support number where I am put on hold listening to alternating classical and mexican music (what' with THAT?) for an hour, while they proceed to give me tips on fixing problems I don't have and telling me they are there for me 24 hours a day (4 of them I'm going to spend on tech support holding hell!). After I reach a real person, I am informed my mother has 3 year warrenty on hardware, and nothing on software. I am now forced to pay $60 for a one time issue!! E-Gods!

After further mumbling and poking and restarting, I am informed they can't help me and they will have to send me the disks. They should arrive in five business days. Can I get them shipped overnight? No. Do they have a local distributer I could pick them up at? No. Do I have an alternative. No.

My mother called a little bit ago. The disks came in the mail. Now I get to go try and fix the computer. If you turn your head slightly to the left and close one eye you may see me jumping up and down in joy. Or not. FUCK.