Saturday, December 03, 2005

Red Ribbons


It's snowing. Again. More. Lots. I've got homemade bread going, homemade chicken soup on the stove, the fireplace, Christmas music on the stereo, and a thick book on my lap. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this???

I couldn't get a good enough picture, but had to share this miracle of a winter moment. I came upstairs yesterday afternoon to see the large mulberry tree outside the deck festooned with red ribbons. At least, that's what it looked like. I was so amazed that my mouth dropped in wonder. You've probably figured out from the picture, but yes, it was covered with cardinals. Gorgeous, fire-engine red male cardinals. They were spread out as though I had personally placed each one on its' own branch and told it to stay there. I stopped counting at ten, as I ran to get my camera... and I tried to get a few photos, but only I will be able to see them in the trees, as I kept getting flashback on the window and couldn't seem to get zoomed in or out in a good enough way to catch the magnitude of what I was seeing. The most I saw last winter at a time, were six. Hubby says they're getting the word out... I know male cardinals don't get along in the spring and summer, so it's very strange to see so many hanging out together in the wintertime when they will tolerate each other.

Of course, besides the males there were at least 5 females I counted, three bluejays, and the finches, nuthatches and woodpeckers. But I tell ya, those cardinals are heart-stoppers.

Hope you're getting to enjoy this beautiful day!