Monday, April 10, 2006

The Reveal

A while back I mentioned my heart was breaking. Now I can finally reveal to you why.

My youngest daughter is getting divorced. I ache for her. She agonized over this marriage before it ever happened… wanting to be sure this was it forever and not to repeat the mistakes of her mother and her older sister.

If there can be such a thing as good news associated with the act of divorce, there is some. For one thing they are being adults about it. They realized they were the best of friends when they married, just didn’t realize there should be more than that. In ending it, they are managing to end it as best of friends. I find that remarkable in this day and age and says volumes about the two of them. I hope that he knows we still love him, too… and only regret that it didn’t work out for them.

In the other ‘good news’ department, she will be moving back to Iowa. It makes us, her family, feel terribly guilty that we are all so friggin’ happy about this. I mean, doing cartwheel type happiness. She’s coming home. She has a job, she has friends, she has us, and she has spring… what a glorious thing!

I ache for her as I know as well as everyone is handling this, it still hurts. I know if still feels like a failure to her. She feels as though she is going backwards in her life.

Truly, she is only taking a step forward into a new life. She’s learned a lot this year about herself and what she needs to be happy. She’s learned that as wonderful as a friendship can be, it isn’t enough. She’s learned she can be stronger than she ever thought. I love her so much and admire her. I wish I’d have had the courage she had.

She’s a lovely young girl who, corny as I know she’s going to say this sounds, has blossomed into a beautiful young woman – with newfound wisdom – and so much hope and promise ahead of her. We all love her so much and wish her only the best for her future.