Saturday, June 10, 2006

Friday Ramblings.. Okay, It's Saturday, Sue Me!

Just rounding up some random thoughts:

I appreciate all the wonderful comments on meeting internet people in the "real world". It does help. Now if I can only convince my husband that they aren't all serial killers, we'll be fine.

Youngest son came in second place in last nights' car race. Tonight there will be another double-feature because of a rain-out last weekend. Unless it gets rained out again this week. I wonder what they do then? Have a triple-feature next weekend? Hmmm...

I've been working on the gardens. Extended some around the edge of the lawn, weeding and watering and planting. The mound of mulch is waiting to be addressed, but I have to a.) find the time and b.) get my garden tractor back. I've also been weeding and watering the main flower beds and have already had to replace one - no, make that two - tomato plants. Not sure what's getting them. Rabbits? Racoons? Suicide? Unless I have a spy camera set up I'll probably never know. Despite the lack of much-needed rain I've kept things watered daily and all is still doing okay. Me? My hands are cut and bleeding from weeding without gloves. (What was I thinking?) My lower back is just now beginning to itch from getting sunburned where I leaned over and my shirt rode up and my pants rode down (no, no butt crack, but thanks for asking). It takes me about 5 minutes of sun exposure to burn. Yes, I'm THAT WHITE. Deal with it. Last, but not least, my arms, shoulders and legs hurt from actually doing something besides sitting at my computer. I really have taken pictures, too. Just not the time or the energy to load 'em up. Something else to put on my "to do" list.

Another note on the yard front. I've had birds that I've never had before! The indigo bunting is back. We have the usual grosbeeks, chickadees, blue jays, cardinals, goldfinches, purple finches, junco, nuthatch, and three different kinds of woodpeckers. This year we've had a baltimore oriole and recently a hummingbird has been spotted. The cats are highly entertained. (Before you go calling the ASPCA, the cats don't leave the house and the birds stay on the outside of the glass).

I was exposed to my first-ever Thai food last night by my daughters. I like it! Always interesting to try something new and not have a clue what it's possibly going to taste like. Different than anything I'd had before... and yet? Good. Was it "legal" on my diet? No, of course not. Nothing I like is! Sometimes you just gotta break the rules to try something new, though. At least I didn't eat the whole thing!

My lovely eldest daughter and her husband had their 4 year wedding anniversary this week. In typical fashion her hubs likes to quip - "It's been the best 2 years of my life". I think I know him well enough to say... he's a smartass. But we love him. Congratulations, kids, on a great marriage.

I am soooo excited and happy for this guy. A new house. A new adventure.It couldn't happen to a nicer family. I've been down this road and it's a fun one, but it's a little nerve-racking. For a long time hubs and I felt we were living in someone elses' house. It is sad to leave the old one with all the memories. We were lucky in that our youngest son still lives in our old house and we can visit whenever we want! The board is still in the kitchen doorway with all the hash-marks of our children's growing up stages. Is this just an old-fashioned thing to do or do you all still do it? Marking your childrens' height on the doorjam just seems it's been in my family for generations. If we ever really let that house "go", I'm taking that board. It's history.

I'm also extremely excited for this family. It was a helluva surprise when baby came early, but knowing Amy she's taking it all in stride quite well. She's got to be one of the - if not THE -happiest woman alive to be a mom. She takes that title quite seriously and finds it to be her calling. I love her attitude toward her kids. They make her truly happy. Most of us love to be moms, but she takes it to a new level.

Keep holding good thoughts for Ms. Sizzle. She has a lot on her plate these days what with moving to a new state, a new city, finding a new job. It takes a lot of guts and a heart of gold, but she's got both. I know she's tormented by the thought of leaving the city she's grown to know every nook and cranny of. I know she's tossing and turning and worrying about the friends she's leaving behind and the "good" people she works with. She has dreams and goals and a future as big as... her heart. She's gonna be okay... she just needs to hear it. A lot.

I'm tired. Really, really tired. Wish I could take a nap.