Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Drama

I'm a sucker for drama. Give me lines that touch the soul... or not... and I eat it up. I'm thinking today about television. I'm not a fan of sit-coms. Sure, there are a few out there worth mentioning: Will and Grace, Dead Like Me, Scrubs, Will and Grace, Dead Like Me. Okay, not that many.

I do love the crime and mystery genre, tho'. This is turning out to be a good season for me. CSI is venturing into New York. (Can CSI:Chicago be far?... how about CSI:Minneapolis?) The stand-by original CSI is still going strong and CSI:Miami has already killed off someone who was not the one I expected. I wasn't thinking that the "cool, good-looking guy" would get it. Must be going into movies or something? Hmmm... Will watch for that. YD and I are facinated by the various colors they make the different CSI's. It's like it's own version of the theme - like the different "Who" songs for each one. Vegas seems rather neon (and dark) and rather green - I'm always wondering why they work in such poor lighting conditions. Then I remembered they work on the night shift. Maybe I'm not cut out for this clue-figuring out after all. <rolling eyes> Miami seems all yellows and brightness. Sunlight and sunglasses. Now N.Y. is appearing as gloomy and gray and blues and rather fuzzy. I was enjoying the Miami show that took David Caruso to N.Y. and introduced us to the new team. I'm watching the camera switch back and forth between Caruso and Gary Sinease (sp?) and and when it's on Gary I'm seeing what appears to be a smoke-filled gray room with barely any light coming in, and when they switch to Caruso suddenly he's warm and yellow and standing in the sun. Huh.

I'm always a sucker for BBC Mystery Monday, too... tamer than the U.S. shows, yet I love the accent. You can tell me anything in a british accent and I'll believe you.Robson Greene isn't the most attractive man around, but he can act. So can a few others I see on those British shows. I like the books that some of these shows are based on, so that may be part of the attraction.

Still a lifer for Law and Order. All of them. Over and over I can watch these. Part of the fun is getting to see some actor play, say, a killer one week and a year later see them play a lawyer. My favorite was when they made the Lieutenant a drugged-out mom in about the second or third year, then she came on as TA-DA the Lieutenant. Perfect.

I was a fan of medical shows for many years, faithfully following E.R. (who can forget George Clooney on E.R.????<drool>) Then they lost me. I can't even figure out when exactly they lost me, but it just doesn't make my heart leap from my chest when I hear E.R. is on tonight. I've watched the new Medical Investigations. It's okay, but I get irritated with the pretty unrealistic portrayals. I mean, if you've got something killing people and you don't know if it's airborn, or from touching, or whatever, do you walk in the room without a shred of protective gear except that cute little doctor coat? I mean, puleeze! At least lets see some gloves and a mask! DUH!

Okay, that's the rant for today. I'm sure there are some other shows I've not mentioned that will be brought up from time to time. Feel free to tell me your favorites and why you love them. I'm always open to suggestions.