Friday, March 11, 2005

Time Flies

I can't believe how quickly time is passing until the wedding. So many things to do and so little time. It seems you start planning months in advance and there are still so many "last minute" details. I think we're getting there, but it's been nights of tossing and turning wondering how many things we forgot. I try and keep a calm outward appearance for my daughter's sake, but am in total turmoil inside.

Part of the trouble is the daugher who is getting married is such a fixture in my life. I know people shouldn't have favorites among their children. I love all of my children in their own unique way and think they are beautiful, wonderful creatures. This particular one, however, has always been recognized as my "clone". She and I look very much alike, act alike, like the same things... you get the picture. We do many things together and really enjoy each other's company. It is going to be difficult to see her move to another state... in a week.

She is so special to my heart. She has lived away from us while she went to college - even though it was in the same town, we didn't see much of her. Then a few months ago when we moved into the new house she moved in with us. We became closer than ever. Now we will see her go off to have her own home and family and it's hard. Seems it was such a short time ago that this little red-headed sweetie came into our life. She's spent time being obstinate and opinionated, but that's the way we liked it. She had a brain and used it. She had opinions and weren't afraid to express them - or to clam up and not speak for a week, if that was the point she was making. She has grown into a beautiful young woman with the same brilliant mind and the same quirky sense of humor and yes, sometimes the same obstinance. We love her so.

As a little girl of about 3, if she wasn't having me read her "bookies", she was watching the movie "The Wizard of Oz" over and over again. She loved the movie and sang songs from it all around the house. For her father-daughter dance at the wedding, she's having them play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". If that doesn't get her father choked up (he doesn't know it's coming) I don't know what will. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pack a box of kleenex, too!

The joy we have in seeing her married is the good feeling we have that she has chosen well in her spouse-to-be. He's the sweetest guy you ever could meet and is very capable of "going with the flow" when it comes to various mood swings and random bursts of energy. He's going to have his hands full, but seems well-equiped for the job. We're very excited about welcoming him into the family.

How the days fly by...