Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Nighttime Mumblings

It's dark. It's quiet. I snuggle into my comfy bed piled with blankets to ward off the air conditioning Hubby likes to keep cool, and the fan overhead that moves the cool air around at a high rate of speed. I am surrounded by my pillows, my Hubby, my cats. I take a deep breath - in and out. I let the stresses of the day flow out of my body and into the netherworld.

"cough"
"cough-cough"
"cough-cough-cough-damn!"
"cough"

Deep breath. Okay, that's over. What's this? Why is this crinkle in the sheet under my back feeling like a log? Normally, I don't even feel it... this is annoying. I move a bit. Nope, it's still there, now pushing into my side. I try to tug at the sheet to smooth it. No luck. Now I've put a wrinkle in it further down where it is digging into my hip. You'd think I was laying on the bare ground in the wilderness for all the discomfort this one little wrinkle is causing! I lay there and try to figure out why this is bothering me so. I mean, for goodness sakes! There are people right now down south who don't even have a bed, let alone a.c. and a cat... what's wrong with me?

I get up, straighten the sheet, get back into bed and once again go through the relaxation process. What is that? Frieda? Why is Frieda whining? They were just out before we went to bed... they have water, they had their treat, they should be fine. Uh-oh. Now she's getting that serious grumble going. The one that is going to turn into a bark. Yep. There it is. Damn. Do I wait to see if she stops on her own? I wait. One bark. Grumble. Grumble. Grumble. Bark. Bark. Bark. Crap. She must need to go out again. I suppose she could. She's been going out more often since she got her haircut, maybe they nipped her and it's bothering her.

Up. Shoes on. Quietly try to get pups out of the bathroom, bedroom, and to the door. Flip on lights (dimmed) on the way. Outside. "Off the porch, Frank!" Sometimes he is in too big a hurry and just pees the minute he gets out the door. Frieda is usually a little more particular and must hunt around for the 'perfect' spot.

Okay, you aren't going as quickly as I expected after all that grumbling and barking, Miss Tzu. Stand around in p.j.'s fending off mosquitoes while the dew collects on the puppies legs and bellies. "If you're just going to play, we're going back inside!" I threaten... being ignored by two pups intent on chasing a toad down the driveway and under the car.

Enough. Back in the house. Switch off lights on the way in. Try to be quiet in the bedroom as we go through to the bathroom. Back into the pen. Treats. Water okay. Chew toys. "G'night, you two!"

Bed. I'm cold now and wide awake. I hunker down in under my covers and try to warm up. Deep breathing. Think pleasant thoughts. If not pleasant, think about the book I was reading before bed. Do I want to get up and read some more? I've turned off the light for the night, so I'll have to go to another room to read. Naw...too much work. I am tired.

Drifting off.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz. WHAT?!?! Oh, damn. Hubby's snoring. His cold has made him particularily obnoxious. ZZZZZzzzzzz. ZZZZZZzzzzzzz. ZZZZZZzzzzzz. I'm laying in bed trying to remember if I can sleep with my pillow over my head. I close my eyes. At least he's being rhythmic - sometimes he's so irregular I end up listening for his next breath. ZZZZzzzzz.... WTF? What was THAT? OMG... that was ME! I'M snoring! Shit. Shit. Shit. This damn cold has me all messed up. I woke myself UP! I giggle. I wonder if I'll end up waking Hubby up? Wouldn't that be a switch?

Drifting off.

"cough"
"cough-cough"

Now I'm hot. Suddenly so hot I can't stand these covers on me. I throw them off and relish the cool air on my legs and back. I drift...but something's wrong... I'm cold! Maybe just the sheet... Yeah, that'll do it.

"cough"
"cough-cough"
ZZZZZzzzzzzz
"cough-cough-cough"
Grumble. Grumble. Grumble. Bark. Bark.
ZZZZZZzzzzzz
"cough"


Oh, for God's sake. It's going to be a looooong day tomorrow.