Thursday, September 23, 2004

Best Laid Plans

Isn't there some saying about 'best laid plans of mice and men...'? Yes, it rained. No, I didn't get a nap. I had every intention of having a nap. I thought long and hard about a nap. I left work at noon to go home and take a nap. I was foiled.

I made a phone call. Never, ever, ever, ever call your spouse to let them know you are going home to take a nap. I won't happen. I promise. I called and was asked nicely if I wanted to go to lunch. DH and DS were working in the field and DS's girlfriend thoughtfully took him some lunch, but not DH. Fine. I usually pack lunches and send them in the morning, but this morning I didn't since there was rain likely and DH said they'd fend for themselves. Suddenly, his fending for himself is becoming my problem.

This is do-able. I can go have lunch, then go home and nap. All afternoon. Rain pitty-pattying on the roof. Heaven.

Lunch. DH asks me sweetly if I'd like to ride 90 miles to neighboring town to deliver a load of soybeans. I'm a sucker for DH asking sweetly. I say yes. It's not the greatest environment, but it does lock us in close proximity for a lengthy amount of time with few interruptions (occasionally his cell phone will ring) and we are able to have some of our more intelligent conversations on these trips. It's a bonding thing.

On the way home I decide I'm getting a second wind and really should go look into getting a new cell phone. Mine has been getting worse and worse about holding a charge and there is nothing (almost nothing) as bad as having it go dead in the middle of critical conversations (like talking to tech support about a computer problem). I express to DH my plans and he tells me that DS has been complaining about his, too, so looks like this is turning into a family affair.

Home. 5 o'clock. Shoulda worked. No nap today! Sun is out again anyway - it no longer feels like a nap day. Maybe tomorrow..?