Friday, October 15, 2004

Sleighbells Ring...

...just kidding. I AM starting to get the itch for Christmas and snow, however. Thanks to GB who put that thought in my head.

I have to explain. My birthday is a week before Christmas. Exactly. Same day, one week early. Back in the old days (yes, I am that old) there was always snow for my birthday and Christmas. I'm not just talking a few inches, either, but feet. It was terrific. School got cancelled, nobody left the house - except, of course, the kids who couldn't be kept in the house!

My parents... a long story we won't get into now... did one thing right when I was growing up. Okay, maybe more than one, but the one thing they did really well was to keep my birthday separate. It was not lumped together with Christmas, and except for my cheap friends (you know who you are) they always made sure I had a full batch of gifts for each. We never did what some holiday people do and have 'faux' birthdays in June, or some such thing, they just made sure it was a terrific day on its own.

I know there are people who live in areas of the country where you have never ever seen snow... or, you have to go up into the mountains to see it at special times. You may not understand my obsession with snow. I'm not saying I like to a.) drive in it b.) walk in it c.) live in it, but I love being in a blizzard with a full pantry, a fire in the fireplace and no place to go. It's my idea of heaven.

Now I have that song stuck in my head... thanks, Grump...

(This is only part of the blog I lost. I can't remember what else I wrote, but I'm sure it was really really good.)