Wednesday, January 04, 2006

WoW... not Wow

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I don't know who said this, but I'm about to attempt to prove this is a lie. Tonight is the night. Tonight, I, a 49-year-old grandmother, will make my first foray into the "World of Warcraft" game.

I have to explain. I am a computer geek. I have been a computer geek since we got our first Atari game, and progressed quickly to a Commodore computer... and, barely able to contain our excitement, a Commodore 64. Finally my first PC. That was the pinnacle. Did I mention I'm a geek?

With all the computers I've had and torn apart and put together and spent hours and hours and hours typing on, I have a block. I don't know what causes it, but I can't play video games. Coordination issues? I'm not sure. It's just something I can't do. I've tried, honest...

This brings us to my Christmas gift from my eldest, Manda and family. She and her hubby have been hooked on this WoW game for several months, even going so far as to buy another computer so they can both be online playing at the same time. They have mega quanities of characters, and have friends they know in real life who they are playing against. Well, for Christmas, they got me the game. Tonight, Manda is coming over to help me get set up in their "guild" and create a character and to hopefully show me some tips to keep me from being a total zero when I get online.

I'm skeptical. She and Hubs and my eldest son who also plays WoW, keep telling me this is something I can do. I'm not sure they understand my block. They were raised on video games and to them it's second nature. Me? Old dog.

I'll let you know how it goes. Woof.